Powered by Blogger.

An Exciting Day, Part 1 (the books)

>> Friday, March 30, 2012

Yesterday, while exhausting emotionally and physically, was an excellent day.

I spent the last week since deciding on this new lifestyle researching products on the internet - ones that I found and ones recommended to me by friends who have already embraced trying to live life with fewer chemical interferences.

Since being on Natalia Rose's detox diet, I've decided to keep as many allergens and triggers out of our food as possible.  It's a tall order, I know, especially since convenience has turned most grocery stores into meccas of processed foods.  To help me cook better and know where to start, I was pleased to find that the number of cookbooks available to deal with food allergies is many more than when I first became gluten free back in 2008.

I just got my package in the mail with the following:
- A Healthy Gluten-Free Life
- Allergy-Free Desserts
- The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook
- The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook
- The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook
- The Complete Allergy-Free Comfort Foods Cookbook

And two for kids:
- Allergy-Proof Recipes for Kids
- Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults (Hubby picked this up at Whole Foods)

I also bought Making It - Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World, and Slow Death by Rubber Duck.

Maybe a bit overboard in the cookbook department, but while there are overlapping recipes, each has it's own techniques and flour combos, and methods for prepping, etc.  Over the years I've found that gluten-free cooking and baking is anything if fool proof.  I'm hoping between all of these different cookbooks to find the kinds of food I've been craving and living without for over 4 years, as well as recipes that I can make successfully.

I'm especially excited about the Allergy-Proof Recipes for Kids cookbook.  Not only does it factor in low sugar in its recipes, it also keeps them low sugar.  And they seem simple.  I *heart* simple.

Slow Death By Rubber Duck is a book I do intend to read, but not this month.  I want to implement some changes fully before becoming any more alarmed than I am.  Plus I have a huge stack of other books needing to be read on parenting and marriage and working out and getting organized, which come first.

Making It - Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World is genius.  I flipped through it last night and already have plans to make my own lotions, headache salves, and lip balms.  I've been wondering what to do with the bags of dirty makeup I've accumulated over the past 14 years in the US (have I mentioned I'm a pack rat???) because throwing them out seems so...wrong.  Instead I've decided to empty the containers of their powders and gels, sanitize them,  and repurpose them for my lip balms and such.  The ones I can't use I will just toss.  Making it talks about everything from growing and infusing your own herbs to beekeeping to building and maintaining a dry toilet.  It may just be my new favorite book.

As I cook and make things, I'll try to be good about taking photos and documenting the process, then write it all up.  I tend to get bogged down in the details, but I'm going to make a more concerted effort for this blog in particular.

Part 2 will talk about my discoveries at the commissary and Whole Foods.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP